Monday, January 30, 2012

Two "New" Techniques

I just can't get to my quilting until I clean up my work space -- what a disaster!  Since my sewing room is also my study, it's piled with papers that need to be sorted and filed, 3 years worth of dog-eared Gourmet, Bon Appetit, Cooking Light and Fine Cooking magazines, a pile of Planning Board agendas and books that I saved to use in my non-existent consulting career.  So I have some serious re-organization work to do.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd share two really neat quilting techniques that appeared in my mailbox over the last couple of days.  Neither one is new -- you can certainly find them if you poke around on the web.  But they are so interesting!  Enjoy!

Tube Quilting

In this video you see how to sew strips of fabric into a tube, then slice them up into triangles to make several kinds of interesting patches.  So easy!

No Sewing Until You Quilt It

I've never seen anything quite like this.  It's a method for joining pieces of fabric in any shapes you want using a fusible interfacing called French Fuse, which you can find on a number of quilt-related websites.  The technique was developed by Ann Holmes.  It's kind of like landscape quilting, except that you don't have to cut little squares and triangles -- just go free-form to get the effects you want.  My next project (AFTER I quilt Q-911 and the baby quilt) is going to be a quilt that copies a photograph, not really a landscape, but using the same techniques.  But now I'm really curious about this method -- I even ordered the DVD today.

You also might want to check out the page on Leah Day's website where she posted this video to see more about the goddess art quilts that she has been making for several years.

No comments:

Post a Comment