Monday, June 25, 2012

Cooling Down

Summer started HOT here in the northeast.  Sewing in a south-facing room just wasn't going to do it.  But I wanted to be caught up before leaving again for the cabin in Michigan.  Once the heat wave broke, I finally got around to putting together the blocks for the most recent round of the Barrister's Block Sow-Along.

Flock of Geese

HSTs in two sizes.  Weird fabric selection, to be sure -- Civil War, paisley, modern floral and a floral from the 1980's.  Talk about scrappy!  The blue in the large HSTs pulls together the various prints.  This block is also in the Farmer's Wife book.
Flock of Geese


Clay's Choice

This is a simplified version of a classic block.  In most versions, this is a standard four-patch, with the corner squares in a different fabric from the rest.  Here, the corner squares are also made of background fabric, so there are rectangles instead of two squares.  I'm not sure about this one; might make it again in three colors.  But I like the fan effect.

The background is the same fabric that I used for the curtains at Otsego Lake; the dark red is a Civil War reproduction fabric.  A little something for everyone!
Clay's Choice
Anvil

And here I really dug into my stash.  The background is something that I picked up who-knows-when and had lots of squares already cut.  It's a nice, solid fabric but it frays like crazy!  To be honest, I doubt that it is actually 100% cotton.  The brown came from that big bag of fabric that my friend, Eileen, gave me a few week ago -- nice print but very thin.  And the center square is an Asian print with teal and gold.


I'm off to the lake cabin in two more days!  Have decided to change course, quilting-wise, and take along a couple of projects that have been tucked away for a long time and that don't require the precision of the Barrister's tiny triangles or the accuracy of the Civil War Block Swap.  The little Singer should be just fine for what I have planned.  We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment