Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Oooh, yes!

Irresistable!



The local Ben Franklin store in Gaylord, Michigan, is folding.  My sister-in-law told me about it two weeks ago; she said that everything in the store was 30% off.  The store carries a lot of quilting cottons, so as soon as I got here, off to town I went!  Sad to see that the window that in July was touting AccuQuilt and many area quilt shows now looks like this.

Still...

So look at the prices today!


Open the door and find that the inventory is still quite large.  These shelves are all autumn/Thanksgiving fabrics.





































The rear wall is all novelty fabrics, with an emphasis on "north woods" themes -- fishing, hunting, canoes, woods, cabins with smoking chimneys.


 Lots of kids' fabrics -- cartoon characters, cars, sports, princesses.



As if all that fabric wasn't feast enough, this sign was posted in the fabric section:

If you can't read it, the little note says that you get 40% off PLUS an extra 50 cents per yard!


Many of these are good fabrics, too:  Thimbleberries!  Moda!



To think that someone at my Simple Sampler class last week noted that you don't usually see much red in Thimbleberries.  Huh!





















I've been on the lookout for something with a black background to make another One-Block Wonder [kaleidoscope] quilt.  There wasn't enough of this fabric to make a lap-size quilt, but maybe I can get a few hexagons out of it for a table runner or some pillows.










This is what I ended up buying -- end-of-bolt for all four, so the most expensive fabric (the Moda) was only $8.50 per yard. 


According to one of the employees, the store will only be open for another week or two.  Guess I'll stop in every couple of days to see if the prices drop further.  There are still 3 other shops in town, one with traditional quilting fabrics and oodles of pre-cuts, one with more modern fabrics, and a Hobby Lobby. 

Enough talk about quilting -- time to do it!  Unfortunately, it turns out that I somehow took all my bobbins and good thread home in July, so back into town I must go.  Fun this morning; now, not so much.

2 comments:

  1. Sad to see another store fold in the economy. Glad to see sales. Can you check on on the ribbon deals? The sign said that was on sale too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, they had a lot of ribbon the other day. I'll try to get back into town today and send you some pics. Anything in particular you'd like?

      Delete