Saturday, April 28, 2012

Mystery Sampler Quilt

And now for something completely different...

Pieceful Quilting, my local quilt shop, has started a new class that I was lucky enough to find a place in.  Each month (for only $5!) we get a small bag of fabric for a new block -- plus the class, of course.  We had a choice of two colorways, Thimbleberry (browns, rose, other muted colors), which is my usual choice, or blue and white with a touch of yellow.  I picked the latter, to get out of my comfort zone. 

As is usual for a BOM, we get a new block each month.  However, the blocks will be different sizes, ranging from 6" to 15", hence the mystery:  we have to hang out to the end to find out how to put them together!


Fabric for the first month's block, Apple Cider.

Every block will have the same floral, but the blues and whites will change each month.  I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed -- I was expecting (hoping) for fabrics like the one that we used in an earlier class.  But who knows, I may be happily surprised!

This is what I was expecting (hoping for).
The first block is Apple Cider, made up of flying geese and rectangles.  I decided to use my No-Math Flying Geese ruler and the Tiger Tape that I'd gotten on sale to make my triangles more consistent.  This turned out to be a no-so-good idea.  In retrospect, better to have tried out these tools before applying them to a project that I'll have to share next month!

The completed block is OK, but nothing to write home about.  I hope that the next one will have more of the floral and less of the white.




Apple Cider quilt block in blue/white/yellow

No comments:

Post a Comment