Sunday, March 17, 2019

Music and Love


Happy National Quilting Month!



... and National Quilting Day, too.  It was yesterday, but I didn't celebrate because I was away (enjoying the last day of a lovely, warm week in Florida).   But I do have a recent finish to share with you.

Music and Love


Music and Love was intended to be a housewarming gift for our dear friends Gordon and Diane, who moved last summer from Delaware to North Carolina.  I'd had the fabric for a long time, but now was time for it to see the light of day.

The fabric had a music theme, and the pattern was "Xs and Os" from Missouri Star Quilt Company.  Gordon and Diane were both musicians and teachers, and the kisses (Xs) and hugs (Os) were for their upcoming 54th wedding anniversary.

The pattern was quick and easy (as usual from MSQ).  Two charm packs of a print and one of a light neutral (I used a dotted cream).  The print I used was Perfect Pitch from RJR.  Check out the colors on that selvedge!





Snowball the 5" print squares by sewing 2-1/2" neutral squares to each corner.  
Press the neutrals out and trim back to a 5" square.   Voila!



Except that I decided to have a little extra fun!  I sewed a second seam 1/4" away from the main seam before trimming off the triangles.  



Please ignore the line to the left of the seam.  I put the square down backwards!  The second line of stitching will be to the outside of the first seam.


Voila again!  Handfuls of tiny half-square triangles.  Two charm packs = about 80 squares = 320 HSTs!  I was thinking of using them in a border, but decided against it in the interest of time.  I wonder what they will become?



Put 4 snowballed squares together and there's your block.



Sew up the rows and columns and you're done.  I fiddled with the layout to try to get the colors more-or-less evenly distributed.  And I pressed the seams open, since pressing them to the dark side posed nesting issues.


For the quilting, I sewed down the middle of each line of Xs, then a line around the inside of the neutral squares and one between the first two lines.  So three lines in the Xs and one in the middle of each block.  I used my walking foot, and turning the quilt in circles under my small-throated machine was a bit of a pain.  But I like the result.



The binding is made up of short (12" - 16") strips of one print in several different shades.


Sadly, Diane passed away last fall.  But her name on the quilt, as he requested, will be a sweet reminder for Gordon.








No comments:

Post a Comment