Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Snow Time

Snowy Days and Paper Piecing


So over a year ago I posted that I wanted to learn paper piecing.  That didn't happen until just last week.  As part of my seasonal mini-quilt project, I decided to make a snowman for January, and the one that I found was a paper-pieced pattern.

I was going to tackle it by myself, but had the opportunity to get some expert help from Elizabeth at Riverhead Sew and Vac, my new local LQS.  Good thing -- I think I would have gotten frustrated if she hadn't been able to help me out.


This little guy is more than twice the size of the original pattern, and I still had to add a 2" border to make it fit on my 12" quilt hanger! It's got a snowflake pattern in the white-on-white, but it doesn't show up here.  (It also went from white to beige in the editing process.  Whatever).  I had plenty of embroidery floss and #5 pearl cotton for the eyes, nose and arms, and a nice assortment of buttons, but something was still missing.

i knitted him a little scarf (3 stitches wide) with some sparkly red yard that seemed to do the trick.  Happy January, Mr. Snowman!


No comments:

Post a Comment