Yesterday I started cutting the fabric for my niece Molly's wedding quilt. Cutting is not my favorite part of making a quilt. Something always goes wrong. Yesterday I was having trouble with my 6" x 24" ruler, just couldn't get it lined up right. Then I realized that Stella was lying on the other end! Wish I had a photo of that! Then when I shooed her away, she started gnawing on the cut patches! Argh!
|Stella the Chipmunk Hunter|
Still, I got a lot done -- more than planned, in fact!
Two, Two, Two Quilts in One!
Remember the Doublemint gum twins? No? Well, it was a long time ago. Anyway, "Double your pleasure" works for quilts, too!
First I cut 200 dark blue 2-3/4" squares. Some were scraps from other projects, some came from fat quarters that I bought. I love dark blue, and I had lots of blue batiks, so this will be fun to sew!
Next up was the greens. I remembered that I had never cut any of the green fabrics for the Easy Street Mystery Quilt, and the fabric colors were in the same family, kind of apple-y and lime-y.
I challenged myself to minimize waste by combining the fabrics and figuring out the best way to get the most 5-1/2" squares and 3-1/2" squares out of each piece of fabric. Usually this meant cutting the large squares first, then cutting the smaller ones from the remaining strips.
I mentioned the Scrap Savers System in my past post. After each scrap or fat quarter had been cut so that there wasn't anything at least 3-1/2" wide, I trimmed the remains into strips and squares. Now they'll be ready to use in another scrappy quilt!
Even 1" pieces got saved -- I can feel a postage-stamp quilt coming on!