Monday, August 6, 2012

Pennsylvania Dutch Peach Pie!

This weekend was the beginning of a major quilting-related home-improvement project and my DH came through way beyond the call of duty (more on that later!).  Since I couldn't (or he wouldn't allow me to) assist, I HAD to do something for him.  Summer on Long Island is a food lover's paradise, so I decided to make him a wonderful dessert!

The original recipe for Pennsylvania Dutch Peach Pie came from a good friend when we lived in DeKalb, Illinois.  The recipe was scrawled on a page torn from a steno pad (remember those?!).  I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!


Pennsylvania Dutch Peach Pie Recipe


Ingredients
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3-4 cups peeled and sliced peaches (about 1-1/2 lb)
1 unbaked 9" pie crust

Slice 3-4 cups peaches (about 1-1/2 lb.).  Blackberries are available at farm stands and pick-you-own places now, so I replaced one cup of peaches with one cup of blackberries.
Local peaches and blackberries -- yum!
 The peaches are so ripe, they didn't need to be blanched; the skins just slipped off.


The original recipe calls for mixing the spices with the custard, but I prefer to add them to the fruit; they seem to be more evenly distributed.  I like a lot of spice -- 1/2 teaspoons each cinnamon and nutmeg; you might want to cut back a bit.


Add two eggs to another bowl.


Whisk the eggs with 1 tablespoon milk and 2 tablespoons melted butter, then add one cup of sugar.  This will be your custard.


Put the fruit in a prepared pie crust.  I usually make my own, but this time I used a (thawed) frozen crust.  Works for me (I rarely eat the crust), but the pan is smallish, so the custard overflowed.  I like to line a cookie sheet with foil and put the pie plate on that -- definitely the way to go if you use a frozen crust in a wimpy aluminum pie plate!

Fruit added to the prepared crust

Custard added (and overflowing!)
Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes.  Cover the crust edge if necessary to allow the custard to set.  Allow to cool.

Serve at room temperature or chilled.  Refrigerate any leftover.  Don't worry, it won't last long!

3 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful on the photos! Recipe is very well explained too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lost my hard copy of this, with tons of Davis Peaches! Glad to have found it again. Thanks Mary. Hope all is well with you!! <3

    ReplyDelete