Monday, April 8, 2019

In For the Long Hall

No, that isn't a typo!  Ha ha ha!

Almost done with the Otsego Lake twin bed quilts!  The journey started here and has continued on and off for eight years.  With the tops done and the backing purchased, I got some wonderful bamboo/cotton blend batting.  Now it's time to take everything to Clemencia for the quilting.

The backing (which I showed you here) was about 10-1/2 yards long -- not wide enough for the quilts, so four lengths to have enough for a vertical seam.  No way I could actually measure this, so I folded in half lengthwise to fit in the upstairs hall,  then unfurled it along the hall so that that I could fold it in half and then in half again..  Voila!  Four pieces of fabric long enough for the quilts and two widths each for the pieced back.


It worked out just fine.  Plenty of extra fabric on each side for the longarmer, and I'd calculated the length pretty well, I think.

In the photo, I'm standing in front of the spare bedroom where I keep the ironing board (steps between my sewing space and ironing space to keep my Fitbit happy).  To your left is my sewing space, to the right the master bedroom.  Fortunately, the fabric didn't have to extend into the bathroom at the end (yuk!).

I'll be so happy to have these quilts DONE and shipped off to my brother to schlep up to our cabin. 












5 comments:

  1. I call this kind of thing “fabric acrobatics”!! Isn’t it fun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep -- not cardio, but definitely flexibility!

      Delete
  2. I think I remember you showing me the fabric in your old house...??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops...did not mean to be anonymous, Mary. It's peg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right. It's seemed like these quilts would never get done, but now so close!

      Delete