Friday, March 22, 2019

New Finish, New Start

Easy Street is on the Bed


As some of you know, I am a fan of Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville blog.  I started Easy Street, one of her annual mystery quilts, several (!) years ago, right around the time my son got engaged.  Since then, he's gotten married and they now have three wonderful kids.   If you've been reading this blog for a while, you know that I've made my son and daughter-in-law a wedding quilt, quilts for each of the kids, plus quilts for several nieces and nephews, a Quiltville leader-and-ender project (more on which another time), and other miscellany.  But at last, Easy Street is done!!

I dropped this project several times, not just because of other priorities, but also because I because discouraged.  Nevertheless, I persisted.  Once the blocks were done, I was so excited to finish it.  Adding the first border was a challenge -- the quilt wasn't particularly square, and all of the edges -- **ALL** -- were the bias edges of triangles.    The quilt was too big to even try to do on my DSM.  The quilting was done by Clemencia Ramos in teal.   I am thrilled with the result.


 

Not having a clue about what I was getting myself into, I decided to make this quilt because of the colors.  For me, it wasn't "easy street," but I sure learned a lot!  The backing is a pretty print of violets in the same colors as the top, more modern than traditional, but a perfect complement
.


On Ringo Lake

With Easy Street done, it was time to start a second Quiltville mystery.  Once again, I fell in love with the colors, never mind the pattern.  This time I got a little smarter and waited until the reveal to go ahead with selecting fabrics and diving in.  So far I've finished Clue #1 - 50 nine-patches in teal, brown, and white-to-beige neutrals.


 Some of the teals and neutrals are left over from Easy Street.  Sweet.   I'm looking forward to the next clue, in corals and peaches.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment